Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Stitches

Saturday morning Ryan took all 4 girls with him to make relish for the upcoming fair.  The Lamb Growers Association always do lamb burgers, and have this fabulous relish that Ryan wants the recipe for.  This is the first year they offered to let the FFA help, and then Ryan would know how to make it.  Due to school beginning late in the year, Ryan brought his children instead of his students.  He figured he'd be home after lunch time.

Around 11 am I heard the door being opened.  I thought to myself, "Wow, the kids must not have been good if he's home already."  I walked towards the door, but it wasn't Ryan entering my house.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was past the kitchen- no knives readily available to grab.  Uh oh.

It was our old bishop from church.  I guess that's ok.  I didn't have to fight or fly away.

Unfortunately, the first words out of his mouth were, "I didn't see your van.  I thought I needed to watch the kids while you took Ryan to get stitches."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Stitches?

His phone dings, he looks down and sees another text from my Dear Sweet Spouse saying I didn't know yet, and to not tell me.

Too late.

I eventually pieced together the story.  (I chewed Ryan out over the phone, once I got the fact he wasn't in mortal danger.)  Bro. Ricks called Ryan while driving up to our house.  He was looking for a particular item and thought we might have one.  Ryan didn't answer, but texted back saying he was getting stitches.  Bro. Ricks thought it was a call for babysitting and the front door was unlocked.  (Darn Dear Sweet Spouse didn't lock it on the way out.  Like he's supposed to.)

As for how the stitches came to be- Ryan was cutting cabbages by the dozen with a big knife.  One rolled, the knife slipped and Ryan tried to take off his hand.  He looked down at the cut and decided it was going to need stitches.  He called 1, 2, 3 people before finding someone who could give him stitches.  Paying $300 for an ER visit was going to be a last resort.  So he drove over to the guy's house with all 4 children in tow, picked him up and proceeded to drive to the doctor's office the next town over.
He was very lucky.  He didn't cut any major veins, tendons or nerves, and no surgery was required.  He does look almost suicidal, however.  This summer has been rough, but not that bad.

No comments: