Saturday, February 7, 2015

Wake Up Call

{Cell phone ringtone plays}

Before I even know what I am doing, I have my cell phone up to my ear and I'm croaking out, "Hello?"  It's dark, it feels like the middle of the night, and I had been asleep up until a few seconds ago.

It's Ryan.  "Can you let me in, please?"

"Uh, where's your key?"  I am totally confused.

"It's inside with my truck key.  I didn't take it with me."

"Uh, ok.  Be right there."  Click.

I checked the time.  It's after 1:30 am in the morning.  The last I'd heard from Ryan, they were finally taking off from Portland to the Pasco airport.  The plane was running rather late.  But it seems he had finally made it home.  I stumbled out of bed, down the stairs, around corners and finally to the front door.  There he is.  His tired face is a welcome sight.  I registered that he was inside, and I turned around to make it back to my warm bed as quickly as possible.

Wait.  I haven't really seen him in days.  I mean, does Face Time really count?  I missed him.  I should hug him.

So I did.

Then I made a bee line for my bed.

I expected Ryan to be following me to bed in short order.  But first he visited the downstairs bathroom, and then he came upstairs to shower.

I was confused again.  Did something happen on the plane?  Why did he need to shower?  I thought he was dead tired from his 22 hour day.

When he finally got to bed, he complemented me on my new necklace holder (so I could finally stop hanging them from the door knob in the bathroom), and conked out.

I, on the other hand, was quite awake by this time.  Hi, honey, so glad you finally made it home.  Well, at least I had someone to snuggle up to while lying awake in bed.

I'll take it.

(For the record, Ryan said he was just wanting to rinse off after his long day.  Nothing bad happened en route.)

No comments: