Thursday, September 6, 2018

Thursday Ramblings

We are plugging our way through the week.  Despite my last post, life isn't so bad.  In fact it's been rather manageable.  We are using disposable plates, bowls, cups and utensils with the dishwasher out of order.  While we are making a TON of garbage, it keeps the amount of dishes I have to do at a feaseable amount.  I keep applying hand lotion, and the dry skin on my hands isn't too bad.  We are trying to stay busy, as you can see in the following pictures.
 Emma got the part of Scarecrow in the high school production of The Wizard of Oz.  She came home the evening of auditions declaring that everyone had done better than she had, and she just knew she was only going to be in the ensemble as back up to the main characters in the songs and stage filler.  But she was wrong.  She landed a main role.  She was positively gleeful when we saw the cast list on Instagram last Saturday evening.  Tuesday she came home with a binder full of the script, eager to start memorization.  Last night Simon figured he'd better check out what all the fuss was about.


For this next photo, there is some back story needed.  Ryan's parents retired at the end of the last school year, and have embarked on their dream of a cross country trip to see all the sights.  The Great Lakes.  Canada.  Church history sights in New York.  Pennsylvania.  Washington D.C.  Relatives in Maine and Alabama.  Kirtland.  Nauvoo.  It's a two month long trip, and after leaving they discovered maybe they over packed.  Just a little.  So this suitcase arrived today via UPS.  One of these days I'll need to drive it up to their house for them.  But I may wait a few days, because I may get another suitcase to take too.
 (Proof to Kim that the suitcase arrived.  With a couple of interesting poses from these munchkins.)

Having little kids in the house again changes how I do things, like exercising.  With littler ones, the only way to get a few minutes without "Aunt Duh-naaaAAAAaaay" is to plug in a movie, and then crank through the exercise and shower as quickly as possible.  No treadmill though, because it's much too loud to hear the tv.  And no outside runs because, well, 4 year old legs.

I do not get this interested in My Little Pony Equestria Girls.  I'm just saying.
This week has shown me why I feel very comfortable in our decision to stop at 4 kids.  It has shown me also how much I really enjoy the girls getting older.  I do miss the little arms around my neck, slobbery kisses and snuggles on my lap while I read a story.  However, I do not miss needing to inform everyone about my movements all the time. 

In the laundry room.  "Aunt Duh-nnnaaaaaae!!"

In the bathroom.  "Where are you?  Duh-nnaaaee!!"

Took the garbage outside. "I can't find you!  Aunt Duh-nnaaaAAAAaaae!"

Hiding in the pantry with the last two snickerdoodles. "Mom!  I mean, Duh-nnaaaaaaaaeeee!"

There have been a few moments where I thought to myself, "Hey, I totally can manage two extra kids."  But there have been many more moments counting down the days until I am back to my own brood.

When I tuck my kids into bed at night and we do our "Favorite and Least Favorite" of the day, the kids have all told me how much work little kids are.  My girls have been extremely helpful, reading to, playing with, giving piggy back rides, and jumping on the trampoline with their cousins.  They are finding it a little tiring.  I want to tell them, "I know!  I feel like that every day!"  Taking care of kids is physically and mentally and emotionally challenging.  It's a good thing I love them so much.
-------------------------

On another note, I feel really blessed to have good friends.  Someone who knew I was having a rough week stopped by with two bags of disposable kitchen supplies yesterday.  It was so kind and so thoughtful, and a balm to my frazzled soul.  It was one of those moments where it hits me again that the Lord is mindful of me and my little worries and concerns.  Honestly, it could have been any kind of token of "Hey, I was thinking of you," and I would have loved it.  It's nice to be remembered, and not just because someone needs something from me, but out of love and concern.

No comments: