Monday, July 20, 2020

Paradise

After returning from our sweltering visit to southern Utah, it was time to enjoy the beauty of Mt. Rainier.  The girls were not sold on another high altitude hike, so Ryan and I took off on our own adventure for the day.
Oh hello there, beautiful pine trees and wildflowers.  As far up the mountain as we were, there weren't a ton of flowers blooming yet.



The Google reviews said there was still snow on the trail when I was researching where we should hike.  I just didn't realize there would be this much.  So long trail!
 


Hiking in the summer snow was a different experience.  I've walked in the snow plenty of times but I usually avoid a lot of walking in hilly, super slushy conditions.  And obviously, I was not as prepared for as much snow as there was.
Remind me never to wear cotton socks with tennis shoes in the snow ever again.  My feet were damp the whole day.  The good news is these sporty capris were absolutely perfect.  When my feet slipped out from under me and I landed on my behind (in front of some people heading uphill), the snow brushed right off and no wet marks were left to show off my shame.


After our Paradise hike, we headed down the mountain and ended up stopping at Grove of the Patriarchs.  It's been years since we've been there.  Ryan remembered the river and thought it would be nice to visit it, after looping around the big trees.  We peeled off our shoes and socks and listened to the calming sounds of the river.

I admired the great tan lines I was developing while dipping my toes as little as possible.  That snow runoff was too cold for me to stay in long.  

Ryan lasted much longer.
I ended up sitting on the dry rocks out of the water and letting my feet air out.  I didn't reach fully dry, but it didn't matter because I was putting on wet socks and shoes again anyway.  

It was a great day for a mountain adventure, and the company was even better.

No comments: