Friday, October 19, 2018

DC day 3

The first museum of the day we went to was the Holocaust Museum.  This was the only picture I took there, a quote by an author I read in college- Elie Wiesel.  The museum was every bit as gray and ugly and horrific as the book "Night" was.  I can't think of a more appalling reminder, a more terrible tribute to the lows of humanity.  The point of the museum was to never forget, and I know that is a lesson we need sometimes.  That said, the museum was maybe a little too much for me to handle.  The images and stories are heart rending and sickening, and to try and enjoy your day afterwards is difficult.  The museum was highly recommended, but I don't see myself ever going back.  
There was an area of the museum dedicated to those who defied the laws to hide and smuggle Jews and the Roma out.  It was actually amazing to see that when the citizens in some countries did not just sit back and let the Nazis run unchallenged, the survival rate of the Jews and Roma was phenomenally better.  An impressive and noticeable difference.  There's a lesson there, I think.

Ryan texted me updates from the Saturday morning session of conference, which is how I learned about the new two hour church block and the reminder/shift in how we as a church should be referring to ourselves and Jesus Christ's church.  

On to the Natural History and American History museums!

 Creepy, large crab.


 The Hope Diamond


 I remember computers like that.  I guess that makes me old.
 Tsk, tsk.  The Smithsonian did not get the update about the correct way to refer to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  (This is said totally tongue in cheek.)





 My goofy picture of the day.
 Emma was really excited to see Dorothy's Ruby Slippers from The Wizard of Oz.  The high school is working on their performance of this very play, and Emma was hoping to be able to brag to her peers about how she's actually seen the REAL slippers.  Alas, they are not currently on display.  This was the closest we got.
And the Swedish Chef is awesome.

The we risked life and limb again on our way back to the hotel.  Rick said he was going to write a scathing review online when we were done with this trip.  It wasn't only the driver, but the ants and beetles that were all over our rooms at the hotel.  Leaving snacks out was a really bad idea.

Emma and I reheated our left over take out dinners from the night before.  They were huge meals.  Then we watched Women's Conference on my phone before going to bed.
Ryan hadn't been sleeping well in my absence.  (Ha!  See, it's not just me.)  He informed me that he figured he would make applesauce at 11:30 pm the night before since he wasn't sleeping anyway.  He went ahead and fell asleep on the couch until the smell of burning apples awoke him much, much later.  He burnt my favorite rice and soup pot beyond help.  When I got back home, I soaked and scrubbed and scraped that poor pan, but in the end I just had to throw it away.

No comments: