Thursday, October 11, 2018

Girls Trip

Ryan's parents are finally realizing their dream of a cross country drive around the states now that they have retired.  Back in July they asked if Emma would like to join them for a long weekend in one of their destinations and she liked the idea of going to Washington DC.  There are no direct flights from Pasco to an airport near there.  Emma has not flown in an airplane since she was three years old, and the challenge of switching planes and gates wasn't something I felt comfortable with turning her loose to figure out.  So Ryan and I gave the thumbs up on the condition that I would accompany her.

In all seriousness, I haven't flown as the adult in charge.  Ever.  My mom was with me as a child, and then Ryan has always flown with me.  And airports are large and tricky places, with changing gates and times, and flights running late.  Changing situations that I can't over think and over plan and beat to death in my brain with all contingency plans accounted for scare me to death.  Well, actually all new situations fill me with anxiety.  I worry about making poor decisions on the fly (pun intended).  The idea that I could make a faulty choice in a hurried and stressful situation makes me feel panicky.

So with a priesthood blessing from Ryan, and numerous internal pep talks, we embarked.

Ryan's mom asked for a selfie of us getting ready to leave, presumably for the scrapbook she will make when she gets back.
We flew from Pasco to Denver, and then Denver to Baltimore.  We arrived just past 11 pm, and Rick and Kim were kind enough to pick us up at the airport.  Originally their plans had been to drive from Pennsylvania to DC on the 4th, but all flights that I found either went all night and arrived early the next day (and so we probably wouldn't sleep much) or late in the evening.  So I opted to fly in late on the 3rd, stay at a hotel near the airport and wait for Rick and Kim to pick us up before we got kicked out of our hotel.  But they changed their plans and were in Baltimore for a day and a half before we arrived, and then we all drove down in the morning to the DC area.

Pictures to come.

No comments: