Saturday, March 15, 2008

Emma's Mermaid Party

Today was Emma's very first birthday party where only friends were invited. I know, I am a little behind, but it just seemed like quite an undertaking. And I was taking advantage of the fact she didn't know any better. As far as she knew, birthdays were largely a family affair. So I tried to make this party a nice one for Emma. She seemed to enjoy it. Oh my, what a cake! This baby took over an hour to frost. It is essentially two cakes. One cake mix was the 8" round and 12 cupcakes, and the other was a 9x13 cut into pieces. It's supposed to be a mermaid, in case you are wondering. Emma wanted it to be Ariel. Thankfully this picture does justice to the hair, since I never did get the frosting to be truly red. It was more of a dark pink with red sprinkles on top.
Group picture of all 11 kids! (L-R Emma, Alyssa, Elizabeth, Audrey, Amerie, Amerie's cousin... can't remember her name, Cynthia, Alex, Ashlynn, Kendra and Danielle) You have to check out the streamers in the background. They are "seaweed" (Emma wanted pink and blue rather than blue and green. Oh well) and have fish attached. The girls and I colored them last night.

The girls are working on their necklaces to take home.

Game Time!

I think this picture gives you an idea of just how mammoth this cake was.

Ah ha! A picture of Mommy!

Here are all the kids devouring all my hard work. :o) At least they thought it tasted good.

4 comments:

Coulsey Clan said...

Danae, you have done it again. You are quite the creative gal. You have a knack for cake decorating.
That party looks so fun. I am glad that everyone had so much fun.
Caitlin

Brooke said...

WOW! That cake is awesome! Audrey is still talking about the party. She had a lot of fun. Ah yes, it's always a little bittersweet when they figure out that birthday parties are more than cake with mom and dad....

Natalie said...

What an awesome cake! Good for you! I'm sure Emma was so proud to call you mommy after a party like that. What a fabulous affair!

Becky said...

The cake is absolutely amazing!!!