Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Baby Shower and One Month Old!

Yesterday the high school (where Ryan works) threw us a baby shower after their teacher's meeting. It was so nice of them. We are now the proud owners of a double stroller. Hallelujah! I'm stoked about that. Thanks Voc department! And thanks to everyone else who came. And we've already started in on those diapers... Since Ryan has worked here, this is the 3rd set of twins born to members of the faculty. They've all been in the vocational department thus far. But now a member of the math department will be joining in the fun next year. :o)
The cake. I didn't catch it with all the decorations still on it, but you get the general idea. Very pink, right? (Yea, Ryan)

Emma was camera shy yesterday.
Here are some of the attendees in the library. (Whoa, is that food in the library??)
Today the twins are a whole month old. I can't believe we made it. I guess that means that we might survive. There are times I wonder and feel so overwhelmed.
People ask if we think it would be easier to have twins as your first, or if it would be better after you've already had one, or two in our case. Honestly, I can't imagine being a new mother for the first time with twins. I was so scared and neurotic and afraid I was doing something wrong with Emma. Knowing I've (semi-) successfully raised two children past the infant and toddler stages gives me a certain amount of piece of mind. And I know that the sleepless nights and incessant crying will pass. And I know that sometimes babies just cry (thanks for that Emma) and there's not much I can do about it. It's still hard.
On the other hand, having had two kids before the arrival of the twins presents its own challenges. For one thing, there is NO QUIET around here. Elizabeth chatters ALL DAY LONG in an effort to get my attention. And the adage "Sleep when the baby sleeps" doesn't work so well for me. My day still has to start at a particular time to make sure Emma gets off to school, that Elizabeth makes it to the bathroom first thing, etc. And then that potty training seems to wear off a little for a certain member of the family. (No, no, it's not Ryan) It is getting a little better again, so we are hoping that it stays that way.
I've had so many "I'm a bad mother/wife" moments lately. Like when I was feeding one of the babies and I couldn't walk Emma down to the end of the road to the bus stop. I stood at the front window, nursing a baby, watching my poor 5 year old tear up walking away from the house and weeping myself. Or growling at Elizabeth for jostling me as I try to sleep on the couch while bouncing one of the babies in a bouncer. Or letting Elizabeth watch the 2nd full length movie of the day. Or the fact I've vacuumed maybe once since the babies came home. Really, the examples go on and on. The table only needs to be washed every other day, right? And as long as the laundry gets washed, why bother folding it?
Annie and Maddie are getting so big. They are so beautiful and sweet and innocent. I am so invested and wrapped up in all my girls. I love them all so much. As crazy as my life is right now, I wouldn't trade any of it. They are so worth it.

5 comments:

Woodrich Family said...

It really is true that most things around the house can wait. I gotta say it was the third baby that taught me that, but I can't imagine having three and four at the same time. The whole family has the opportunity to learn and grow and everyone will be stronger for it even if tears are shed in the process. It it amazing how worth it it all is! When Kyler was a baby and cried all the time, the television soothed him. I finally gave in and let him watch it. I told him I would fix his brain later! There are worse things in life than two movies in a day and unfolded clothes. You are a great mom!!

Natalie said...

Danae you are so sweet. I know you are doing a great job. Some days are crazy for sure, but everyone has those!! Thanks for posting all the great pictures and stories. It is good to know we have friends that support us no matter where they are. We are definitely thinking of you and missing you!

Cailean said...

How sweet to have another fun baby shower! And fun for everyone to see your adorable twins - for some reason I think "bear cubs" when looking at that picture. I think the hardest thing for sure is lack of sleep - it affects the whole day and emotions. What a fun time for your family, even the hard moments. You'll never have newborn twins again so it's all such an adventure I'm sure!

Heidi E said...

It was great to see you over the holiday, and despite how you may tired you may feel you look great! I can only imagine how hard it must be to have twins and 2 others to care for. I was completely overwhelmed by one. But you are doing the best you can, and that is all we can do! You are a wonderful mom! And I am sure your husband is so grateful for all you do to take care of your children and the sacrifices you make for your family. =0)

Dedra said...

Nuh uh! You did not just have a baby (let alone 2)a month before and have a picture like that! Just shut up! :)