Friday, February 19, 2010

A Pity Party

It was a rough day. The twins were up several times last night, woke up early and instead of greeting me with happy faces when they did wake up, it was a couple of teary-eyed, smeared snotty noses and pouty lips that howled at me. Yay, another day.... Not.

After getting Emma and Elizabeth off to school, I gave the twins a bottle and settled them into their cribs with their special blankets and binkies. Ahh, now I can have breakfast and watch the host chat on Regis and Kelly. Then I could maybe exercise, shower and fold the literal mountain of laundry that I've been accumulating. Me and my bowl of cereal sat down on the couch amid cries and screams coming from down the hall. I knew they had to be tired. I was going to wait it out- surely they would crash before too long.

They didn't.

Long story short, after lunch we tried the nap thing again and that lasted about 40 minutes. I tried to sneak in the bedroom and rescue Annie before the howls woke up her sister. Alas, 'twas not to be. It was 1:07 and I had three children crying and no idea how we were going to make it until Daddy got home.

That's when my Pity Party started. Minus the chocolate or ice cream. It isn't a proper Pity Party without one of those two items, and we had nuttin'. No chocolate. No help for hideously long days. No recent comments on my blog. Unwilling to brave going out alone with these rotten children to go buy more cough medicine for Elizabeth. Hadn't been out of the house alone in days. Getting absolutely nothing done today. House is a disaster. Boo hoo. Poor me.

I was in an even better mood when Ryan got home. You know, more crying, more whining, more acting out, more snot, all do great things to the mood. An hour later, Ryan chased me out of the house to go to the library and then to pick up dinner on the way home for the weary masses.

I did feel a lot better after leaving the insanity for a while. Thanks to my great and wonderful husband!

7 comments:

Sarah said...

aww, sweet of him to take over for you. hope the girls get to feeling better soon. :)

-sarah

Jason and Wendy Pynn said...

Oh Danae - I don't know how you do it! We only have 2, and some days I feel like I am losing my mind. Our kids share the same bedroom too. Avery has always slept in until 9 or 10 AM, until Owen came along... Our little bundle of joy is an early riser. And therefore, so are the rest of us now - whether we are ready or not. Hope your day goes better tomorrow... it can't get much worse, right? ;) Good thing it is the weekend!

Bridget said...

Oh Wendy, yes it can get worse! But days like today for Danae are bad enough.

Danae, the crying drives me insane. Sometimes, I put me in time out. It's usually pretty dangerous...especially if there is a mountain of laundry. Kids like tsunamis of clothes. I'm not sure how single parents do it. Sometimes there just needs to be a hand off and the hand off has to go to someone who is also just as "responsible" for bringing these precious souls into the world.

It's nice that Ryan works at a school and comes home in the afternoon. Some of my husband's late days (getting home after night school) are brutal. It's like I have to make a plan all day and stick to it otherwise I'd break.

You're not alone Danae.

Heidi E said...

Oh I feel for you. I don't have 3 crying yet, but Amelia has been doing the same one 40min nap a day. For almost a month now. It is tiring!! and I have tired everything I know to make it longer.

Alone time is precious! I am glad you were able to get some at the end of the day. I hope you all feel better soon!!

Team Aleff said...

I'm sorry you had a rough day yesterday... Hopefully today will go better!

Annie said...

No matter how many kids we have when we have a rough day (days) is very difficilt.

Hope everything was well today.

The A Team Mom said...

You can call me anytime! Do you still have my cell #? I don't mind crying kids in the background... I'm sure mine will be loud enough that we can barely get a word in! I listen to all complaints about tough parenting because it IS tough and a Mom needs to tell someone about it!!! (Over and over!)