Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Best. Birthday. Ever.

Emma turned 10 years old.  A decade.  I can't believe it.  It can't be that long ago that her arrival turned us from a couple into a family, and me into a mom.  I am so lucky to have Emma.  She is wonderful, and smart, and sassy, and helpful.

As I was tucking my newly 10-year-old into bed last night, Emma looked at me and told me, "Mom, this was the best birthday ever."  I like to hear things like that.  So, thank you to all who sent and dropped by birthday cards and gifts, and to those who called her on her special day.  It meant a lot.

When Emma got home from school yesterday, she kindly shared the rest of the Oreos that weren't eaten in her class at school for snack.
As soon as Daddy got home, it was time to open her cards and gifts.

Emma got a new bedspread for her bed (so it isn't my old one from years ago), some books, a t-shirt, and a new bike from Grandma and Grandpa.  
We "Face Time"-ed with Grandma and Grandpa, and Grandma Skip so they could watch Emma open her bike.  Once the bike was all put together, we went outside.  (Or most of us.  Someone had to make dinner...)
Emma wanted Ravioli for dinner.

 Then it was cake time.  Emma asked for a vanilla cake with chocolate frosting.
 (Elizabeth was ready with a big breath in case Emma didn't get all those candles blown out on the first try.)

That cake gave me some issues.  The 2nd layer didn't come out of the pan in one piece.  I texted Ryan to say how the cake fell apart (and had other issues like being super crumbly) and I was so mad.  I even greased and floured the pan!  Luckily frosting can double as glue, and I got it together enough that you couldn't really tell from the outside.
 When Ryan came home from work and saw my cake, I expected some congratulations on getting the silly thing back together, and he said not a word.  Turns out he thought I had given up on making the cake work, and had gone to the store to by a replacement.  I guess that means it turned out well. :)
Eat Cake!
(Maddie)


(Annie)

1 comment:

Annie and Family said...

WOW That was one cool cake! I thought you bought it too. Pretty!