Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Aluminum Rule

We've all heard of the Golden Rule. Even my 7-year-old can recite it: Do unto others as you would have others do unto you. It's something we should all try to live by.

Then while reading a book on parenting, I ran across the Platinum Rule: Do unto others as they'd have done to them. Or, in other words, if you are a lightly-toasted-toast person, and your spouse is more of a well-done-toast person, you would make well-done toast for your spouse. Because that's the way he likes it.

And then there's the Aluminum Rule. (I may have made up this one lying in bed last night.) Do unto others as others have done unto you. So, when friends and acquaintances send a salesman to your door, you pass along the good fortune to more friends and acquaintances.

I hope you enjoyed the visit from the Living Scriptures salesman.

3 comments:

Bridget said...

A Cutco guy just contacted me yesterday. I'm going to ask my friend today if she really sent the guy over or if he got a hold of a ward list or something.

I thought the aluminum rule had to do with getting a bit caught in your teeth and having to get it out right away. :o)

Danae said...

Maybe next time we'll just hand the guy a copy of our ward list. The sales guy would not leave without a referal, even though we didn't buy anything.
And I just randomly chose a cheap and plentiful metal. It could easily be lead or something. :o)

Bridget said...

One of our friends sent the Living Scriptures guy to us a few years ago. I really have a hard time spending $30 for a DVD (hard as in I've never ever done it). Living Scriptures could cut out their door to door people and charge $20 for a DVD and they'd have a lot of customers. If the product was only $10-$15 then I would be telling all of my friends. Make it online-only sales and that would just sweeten the pot for them.

I referred the they guy that came to my house to my next door neighbor (Christian but not LDS) for the Bible videos.