Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Student of the Month, Maddie edition

Ever since Annie got student of the month in September, Maddie has been obsessed with getting it herself.  Nearly every day since, when Maddie gets home from school she tells me that she was so good and a great helper.  I have talked to Maddie's teacher, and I know it really is the case.  But oh boy, if Maddie didn't get student of the month this month, there would have been heck to pay.  I would not want to be Maddie's teacher when it was announced.  

So when I got a call last evening inviting me to the student of the month assembly, I did feel relieved.  Maddie's teacher wanted it to be a surprise, so she likes to call the parents rather than send home notes.  

I'm sure it was a giveaway when Maddie and Annie saw me and Ryan in the back of the cafeteria.  Maddie knew something was definitely up, and she was glowing.


Don't get me wrong, I am glad Annie and Maddie got their awards at different times.  That way it was special for both of them.  It's also a good lesson that not everything will be the same for them.  But it was a long, long lesson to live through when you are 5 (and the mom of said 5-year-old).

No comments: