Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Left-overs

Coming up with something healthy and appealing to my family for dinner every night is hard.  I think I've been stuck in a bit of a rut, fixing the same thing over and over.  We've been eating a lot of "breakfast for dinner"-type meals since I gave Ryan a griddle for Christmas.  (Can't believe we were married 9 1/2 years and only finally got one!)  But even that was getting old. 

Wandering around the grocery store on Monday, I remembered it's been a long time since I've fixed Hawaiian Haystacks for dinner.  Hawaiian Haystacks can even be customized for the picky eaters.  It was perfect!  So I picked up chow mein noodles and green onions (since I had everything else) and came home.

Once the cooking and chopping was done, I went through my cupboards for pineapple, coconut and sliced almonds.  That's when I remembered that all of my coconut was blue:
Back in November I threw a Dr. Seuss birthday party for the twins' 2nd birthday.  I made Thing 1 and Thing 2 cupcakes, and used blue coconut for the "hair" which can be seen in this post.  In my over-zealous-ness, I dyed the whole bag of coconut.  It definitely makes the Hawaiian Haystacks very colorful.

If anyone else is stuck in a dinner rut- here's the recipe for our version of HH:

Chow mein noodles
Rice (the wild mix from Costco is really good here)
Chicken, diced
Cream of chicken soup (for the gravy)
Grated cheese
Diced tomatoes, celery, green onions, red peppers
Crushed pineapple
coconut (any color will do- hehehe)
sliced almonds

Stack away!

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Mmmmmm, sounds tasty!