Wednesday, October 24, 2012

#IHATEWALMART


Seriously, I'm not sure why I went to Walmart today.  I ran out of fabric for Elizabeth's Halloween costume, and a half of a yard of fabric would fix that.  Surely, a quick run in and out of Walmart would be an easy fix to my problem.

Well, after all was said and done, this is the letter I wrote to the store:

Today I tried to purchase a half of a yard of fabric.  It should have been straight forward and a quick purchase.  After selecting a cheap off white fabric, I walked up to the counter, but was unable to find a way to reach an associate.  I flagged down someone from paint, and had them call for someone.  And then I waited 10 minutes.  Finally, I cut my own half yard, and left it there on the counter to prove that I was only wanting a half yard.  A tire center worker walked by, and I asked if he could print off my fabric sticker so I could be on my way.  He couldn't; he said he needed a checker code, which he did not have.  But he would call someone for me.  So I waited another 5 minutes after the second call for help, and no one came.  I was done waiting, so I took my 3 other items in my cart and the fabric up to the front checkers.  I showed the checker the bolt of fabric and tried to explain I was buying a half of a yard (half of $2.97 is roughly $1.50- I even did the math for her) and it really proved challenging for her to grasp.  I explained again- The price sticker on the bolt was $2.97 FOR ONE YARD, and I wanted only a HALF a yard.  Finally we figured it out, and left her with the bolt of remaining fabric.  I left the store trying to remind myself of why I had even tried to use your store in the first place.  Even as a resident of [my town], I really try to use your store as little as possible.  I have had a number of unpleasant experiences at your branch and I try to do as much of my shopping at Costco, Winco, and other out of town stores as I can.  Frankly, I don't think you care very much, as I have written in the past about some of these experiences in the 8 years we've lived in the area, once even about your poorly run fabric counter.  
PS If you are worried about your revenue losses, you should consider no longer having your chicken poppers in a cup.  Sometimes I wonder how many of those actually make it to the check out counter, versus the amount of empty containers I see left in the aisles.  I'm so glad you spend your efforts on checking my receipts as I leave the store, after I've spent forever waiting in line to be checked out in the first place, as it seems standard procedure to make sure the lines are at least 4 people deep .  I'm sure your people have x-ray vision and can tell all those things in bags are matched up to everything on the receipt.

As you might be able to tell, I was feeling sarcastic and grumpy by the end of my visit to the store.

No comments: