Friday, November 21, 2014

Turkey Preview

A few weeks ago, we had 14 turkeys alive and well.  Ryan sold four of the turkey chicks to someone at school, still leaving us with 10.  That's not even bothering to count our chickens.  I've been telling Ryan that we should reduce our poultry population, and today, he finally had time to do it.
 Catching turkeys is hard work.
 After the birds were butchered, they were scalded in a trash can full of hot water.
Because we are classy like that, yo.  I helped take the feathers off.  

Ryan gave the younger three girls a biology lesson while he was removing the guts.  This is as close as I could get.  I have yet to faint at the sight of blood and guts, but I've gotten so I can't see anything and my ears ring.  I'm getting better.  I only get trembly and shaky now.

Yesterday, I cooked up one of the 4 turkeys for dinner.  It looks awfully skinny compared to the birds we buy at the store for Thanksgiving.

But it tasted delicious, and it gave me an excuse to make stuffing and homemade cranberry sauce.  Yum.

No comments: