Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Another Mom Moment

Ring.

I was sitting in my bathroom with the heater on, playing a game on my cell phone while my hair deep conditioned.  It was after lunch, but I really didn't have anything pressing to do today, and I still had a couple of hours before Emma was due home.  That's when my phone rang.

"Hi, this is the school nurse..."  Oh, dreaded words.

Maddie needed to be picked up.  The nurse feared the beginnings of pink eye.  (We'll see about that....)  I peaked in the mirror.  I looked like a grease monkey, and there was no way I was going to put a hat on that.

"Ok, Maddie.  Mom is going to take a shower, and then I can come pick you up, ok?"

15 minutes after the phone call, I had showered, dressed, scrunched my hair, put on enough make up to ward off the "Are you feeling ok?" questions, and was running downstairs for my shoes, coat, and purse.

I've still got it.

I haven't really polished my fast shower skills in a long time.  When the kids were a lot smaller, I could be in and out of the bathroom in about 8 minutes.  When the twins were babies and Elizabeth wanted to love on her sisters in her rough 3 year old manner, I needed to be fast.  Or when Elizabeth would wake and let the tornado toddler twins out of their room.

Maddie is home now.  We are sitting on the couch, watching My Little Pony.  I really doubt she has the beginnings of pink eye, but she obviously wanted to come home.  Oh well.

No comments: