Monday, July 23, 2012

Camp Elwha

Friday morning we were off about 7 am.  We woke the kids up, took them to the bathroom, and were off.  About the time we were turning onto the freeway on ramp, we realized that Elizabeth didn't have her glasses.

At about 7:25 we actually hit the freeway.

Our first order of business was to find a campground.  Once we were secure in having a place to sleep, we could go explore.  We passed Port Angeles and started looking for one.  We chose Camp Elwha, and then drove around until we found a site we liked.  There was one right next to a creek that we liked.  

We put together our new tent from Costco for the first time.  It took us a while.  The directions were not terribly explicit, and with kids helping us, we didn't figure out that all of the sections of poles were different lengths until we thought the tent was mostly put together.  
It was really big once it was all together.  So, so nice!
There were trails leading out from the campground that we explored.
And a waterfall.

Elizabeth found some awesome slugs.  I still can't believe she picked one up.  Yuck..

After we explored what Elwha had to offer, we drove over to Hurricane Ridge.  It was a 45 minute drive to get there, but it was only about 6 miles (as the crow flies) from our campground.  There was a major change in elevation, so it was really cold up there.
There were some nice views of the Olympic mountains, even with the clouds.
We saw a momma deer and two fawns prancing around.  The fawns got really close to us.

Afterwards, we headed back to our tent for dinner time.  It was kind of late, so Ryan cooked our hot dogs on the propane burner we brought.  (I forgot the mustard though.  Bad mommy moment.)
While we were waiting for our fire to burn down a little for roasting marshmallows, the kids put on a little show for us.

Time for s'mores!
Then it was time for pjs and bed.  We spread the sleeping bags and blankets out, hoping the kids wouldn't keep each other awake (ha!  nice try...) and climbed into bed.  And waited for the kids to fall asleep.

And waited.

And waited.

Sometime after 10 pm I think they finally stopped giggling and squirming.

We own 3 sleeping bags and a whole lot of blankets.  Rather than buy more sleeping bags, we were going to make do with what we had.  We brought 3 blankets for Ryan and I to share- 1 to put under and two above. Easy peasy.

About the time the kids went to sleep, I started noticing the cold creeping through the first blanket.  I put another blanket under me.  The cold came back.  Uh oh.  Now what?  I was wearing fleece sweat pants, a t-shirt, and a sweatshirt.  I got up and put on my coat.  Still cold.  This is not good.

Some ideas ran through my head as I lay there shivering.  I could put on all the clothes I brought with me.  I could put Ryan's on top of mine.  I could steal all of the blankets so Ryan had none and I was cocooned in them all.  I could make the Emma and Elizabeth share a sleeping bag and then I could have one.

I listened to Ryan sleeping.  I knew he was cold too, but how could he sleep anyway?

In the end, I just laid there.  Cold.  I think I got a couple hours of sleep.  When I finally got up, I vowed I was going to be warmer the next night.

No comments: