Sunday, July 15, 2012

Secrets From the Closet

We've packed up most of the house.  I've gone through all of the boxes and bags in all of the closets.  In the process, I've found quite a lot of interesting things.  Books and toys that we thought we'd lost were actually bagged up in time-out bags, and forgotten.  On occasion my children don't actually clean up their room when I asked them to, and after a couple of days I will do it for them.  Those items go in a time out spot, and apparently my memory ain't what it used to be.  I blame the children.

I wasn't expecting to find a lot of forgotten things in my closet.  I have a couple of plastic tubs stacked on one side that I keep the adult off-season clothing in, so I go through the closet twice a year.  My wedding dress, two old formals, and some old costumes are hung up behind those tubs, but it's not like I use those.  Ever.

So Saturday I'm digging out the closet, putting those plastic tubs in the toy room with all the other boxes, and packing up the formals and costumes so they are out of the way.  That's when I notice a stack of addressed envelopes scattered back in the corner.  I opened one.

It was a thank you card from the baby shower before the twins were born.  A whole stack of them.  Written and addressed.

And they got in the very back of my closet... how?  I have absolutely no idea.

I think I got some kind of sleep deprivation-induced amnesia that caused me to be stupid.

I threw the cards away.  It's been almost 4 years.  I couldn't very well crumple them up a little, throw a little rain water on them, drive over them twice and then pretend that the post office lost all of them.  

So I apologized on facebook, and I will apologize to those of you reading my blog.  Thank you, all of you, who gave to the giant collection of diapers, wipes, clothing, blankets, high chairs, and everything else the twins have needed and used.  I'm sorry I'm so lame.

I think I may have Ryan apologize to everyone at church too.  Next testimony meeting.