Saturday, July 18, 2015

Yellowstone, day two

Let me tell you, I don't know why we waited so long to buy an air mattress.  Foam pad, be gone.  I didn't wake up at 4 am with aching muscles.  This is a definite improvement.  Breakfast, on the other hand, needed some help.

In preparing to go camping, I thought I would make up my own pancake mix so all we had to do is add water and eggs.  It was a good idea, but the execution was lacking.  The powered milk, well, I can't remember when I opened it originally.  It did not mix in with the other ingredients at all, and when the pancakes were cooked up- there were these dried milk bombs that exploded and tasted gross in your mouth.  Sigh.  You win some, you lose some.
 After breakfast, we headed back to Yellowstone.  This time we headed north.
 Paint pots- I think.

 The landscape has filled in and green-ed up a lot since our last visit 10 years ago.  Elizabeth was a baby then.  Ryan and I agreed it's a lot easier to see Yellowstone without the umbrella stroller (for Emma, Elizabeth was in a front pack baby carrier).
And since I know everyone is as fascinated by bubbling mud as we are- here's a video of it.
We stopped for lunch and opted for crackers, apples, and cheese instead of another peanut butter sandwich.  There's only so much of that a person can take.  We had some inquisitive birds check us out.  
 They really liked our crumbs.  They were so close to us, I dared Ryan to put a cracker on his hat and see what would happen.  In the picture below, you can see the tail of the bird that stole that cracker right off Ryan's hat.
 Then we headed out to the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone.  I haven't been to the real Grand Canyon, so I thought this one was pretty cool.

The clouds were amazing.  They provided nice contrast, I thought.

I figured this was a good place to play with the panorama feature.
 We didn't get close to the lower or upper falls.  But they were pretty, from what we could see.

 Pardon the random people.  I wish it wasn't rude to say, "Hey- move it.  I want a people-free shot."
 We are clearly getting tired by this point of the day.

Time for more driving.  The prairie is beautiful.
You can see it has started raining and hailing at this point in our day.
 Buffalo sighting below.  He was actually on the trail for quite a while, but we didn't want to get close enough for a good photo.  Getting charged by an angry bison was not the memory we wanted to take away from this trip.


 It rained on us quite a bit here.  You can see we were really prepared for it.

 More buffalo traffic jams.  They don't care if they walk down the middle of the highway and back up cars for a half mile.
 When we got back to our camp, the kids explored the creek and walking trail while the adults made dinner.
 Time for dessert- let's break out those marshmallows and chocolate.


Kids in sleeping bags, who didn't want to go to sleep.



No comments: