Monday, March 5, 2012

I can still get dumped

I had dinner plans with a friend of mine.  Her husband was out of town for the week, and Ryan offered to watch two of her kids (one would be at karate) and all of ours for an hour so we could go out.  It was one of those days and I was looking forward to leaving the craziness for a bit.

About an hour before it was time to leave, I got a call.  Her husband's conference had finished early and he was about a half hour from home.  

"Oh, well then I guess you probably want to hang out with your husband then," I said.  I tried to be a nice, supportive friend, and not give any heavy sighs or sound horribly disappointed.  Add a little falsely happy voice and sell it, girl.

"Yah, guess so."

After I hung up the phone, I felt dumped. 

Ryan was late coming home from work.

Pout, pout, pout.

Elizabeth was having a hard time settling down and doing homework.

Grump, grump, grump.

Ungrateful family members complained about their unexciting dinner.

Stomp, stomp, stomp.

(I know.  I'm so mature.)

Fast forward to the next day.  I saw my friend at the library for story time.  During the craft portion afterwards, I asked how her evening had gone the night before.

It hadn't gone that great.  She was disappointed we hadn't gone out.

Shut. the. front. door.  What?

"Oh.  Well, I was trying to be nice and let you off the hook so you could hang out with your husband."

"You agreed so quickly, I thought you had something else you wanted to do," she said.

"Nope.  I only left the house once yesterday to take the kids to school in the morning and I had nothing else going the whole day.  I spent the evening in a very bad mood."

When Ryan got home, I told him about that conversation.  He laughed us and called us silly girls, which I guess we are. 

No comments: