Monday, March 28, 2016

Concert Time

Our Family Home Evening tonight was watching the middle school band and orchestra concert.  They went all crazy and had it at the high school auditorium.  There were two concerts- the 6th grade one, and then the 7th and 8th grades together.  Emma was asked to play in the 6th grade concert too, which we didn't go watch.  We are on the sugar crash from Easter weekend, and asking the kids to sit through two concerts was more than we could all handle.  But I am sure Emma did a great job.  I think it's a compliment to Emma to be asked to learn (remember?  I'll have to ask if they are the same songs she played last year.) more than she was required to.  She was one of two band kids asked to help the 6th graders.  She's a really bright and talented girl.  
 The orchestra played first, so the band kids sat with their instruments to wait in the audience.  I will say that the orchestra has come a long ways since 6th grade.  I was infinitely grateful Emma was not in orchestra last year, as the sound of that many squeaky string instruments not entirely in tune with each other was murder on my ear drums and sanity.  (Although, what am I talking about?  I survived having 4 kids in 5 years.  I can put up with a lot of ear-splitting noise.)  Anyway, the orchestra is tolerable now.
Emma was sitting three rows back, right under the split in the curtains and barely visible.  The band has come a long way as well.  I admire her teacher.  It can't be easy listening to all that noise, day in and day out, trying to make it into music.  It has got to take a very dedicated person to teach middle school band and orchestra.

After the concert, we went to Burger Ranch for ice cream with the Condies and Gardners.  I think we should make that a tradition.

No comments: