Sunday, February 15, 2015

Happy Valentine's Day

Yesterday was our school district's snow make up day, and since our last snow was a dusting in November, we had no missed school to make up.  Ryan and I stayed in bed at the request of the children until they had made us breakfast.  This was their Valentine's gift to us.
 Ryan did homework in the morning, then we had lunch and left for Walla Walla to visit some friends.  We had a nice visit, and didn't get home until 11 pm.  It was a 4 day weekend, and we had no major plans, so bring on the late night!

Well, we were slow moving getting going yesterday morning.  I think Ryan and two of the kids had their clothes on for the day, and our major accomplishment of the morning was eating breakfast.  Breakfast dishes were still on the table and the day before's lunch dishes hadn't made it into the dishwasher yet.  The house was crazy.  So, naturally, my in-laws knocked on our front door bearing gifts.

 They didn't stay long, and the kids were super excited for their donuts and chocolate milk second breakfast.

Ryan left as soon as his parents did to help our neighbor pick up his tractor from a neighboring town.  It's a slow journey in a tractor.  I took the kids to the store to pick up the rest of the supplies for Emma's science fair project.

I had big plans for a nice dinner.  My plans had ideas of their own.  Like the heart shaped cake:
 Yes, I greased and floured the pan.  I ran a knife around the edges.  And this still happened.  What can I say?  I'm just talented.

We spent the afternoon working on Emma's buoyancy project, and making a big watery mess.  Ryan did....  his homework.  Can I just say I feel so done with his continuing education?  I know we are on the homestretch and all that, but good grief.

We had orange chicken for dinner, and I decided that strawberry daiquiris would be enough of a treat.   Daiquiris don't stick to pans.  I figured it was a safe bet.  This is the first time we've made them, and it was thankfully a success.

After we put the kids to bed, we went to a friend's house for a couple's game night.  (Having our own babysitter is wonderful!)  We played Telestrations, and had a great time.  And, stayed up way too late again.  What's the use of a long weekend without doing something crazy?

No comments: